WHAT IS CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY FOR EMPLOYMENT IN JAPAN or 就労資格証明書 (shuuroshikakushomeisho)?
A Certificate of Eligibility for Employment or 就労資格証明書 (shuuroshikakushomeisho) is a certificate issued by the Immigration Bureau to a foreign national with a status of residence of employment who has changed employers due to a job change, etc. The purpose of this certificate is to confirm that the content of work at the new employer (work duties and activities) is included in the activities of the current status of residence.
This is a document that certifies that the foreigner or his/her employer can determine that “the foreigner is allowed to work” within the scope of his/her current status of residence.
In some cases, a foreigner may apply for and receive a certificate for activities outside the scope of status of residence.
Certificate of Eligibility for Employment document sample
WHEN IS THE CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY FOR EMPLOYMENT NECESSARY
※ When a foreigner is transferred from a company to another company
※ When a company hires foreigners
Even if a foreigner was working for a previous company on a work visa and the visa is still valid, the work visa is based on the assumption that the foreigner will continue to work for the previous company. Therefore, if you are going to change your job to another company, you need to confirm with the Immigration Bureau that you will be able to perform this type of work at the new company with your current work visa.
ADVANTAGES OF APPLYING FOR CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY FOR EMPLOYMENT
※ You can rest assured that you will be able to work at your new company if you receive a certificate from the Immigration Bureau beforehand that your current work visa will allow you to do so.
※ If you have a Certificate of Eligibility for Employment, your next renewal will be treated almost the same as a simple renewal.
It is not mandatory to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for Employment, but if you have more than six months of stay remaining, it is best to obtain the certificate before changing jobs to prevent non-renewal.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS ON APPLYING FOR CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY FOR EMPLOYMENT
In order to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for Employment, the following documents are required:
- Application form for Certificate of Eligibility for Employment
- Passport or resident card (if you are unable to present a passport or resident card, a letter of reason stating the reason)
- Certificate of Withholding Tax (issued by the company you worked for before changing jobs)
- Certificate of resignation (issued by the company you worked for before changing jobs)
- Documents clarifying the outline of the new company
- Certified copy of corporate registration (within 3 months of issuance)
- A copy of the most recent financial statement (for a newly established company, a business plan for the next one year)
- Company brochures (outlining the products handled or services provided)
- Any of the following documents that describe the nature, duration, position, and remuneration of the new job
- A copy of the employment contract
- Copy of resignation letter and salary resignation letter
- Copy of employment acceptance letter
- Documents equivalent above
- A letter stating the reason for the applicant’s job change
The above documents are not required if the outline of the company can be clarified by public publications.
DOCUMENTS THAT ARE NOT REQUIRED, BUT SHOULD BE INCLUDED
The new company’s statement of reasons for employment (in any format, explaining the circumstances that led to the hiring and the reasons for employment)
In order to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for Employment, one of the following requirements must be met.
▶ Have a status of residence that allows them to work among the status of residence specified in Appended Table 1 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act:
◆ humanities/international services
◆ corporate intra-company transfer
◆ technical skills
◆ legal/accounting services
◆ medical care
▶ Those who have a status of residence that does not allow them to work and have permission to engage in activities other than those permitted under the status of residence previously granted:
◆ cultural activities
◆ short-term stay
◆ study abroad
◆ family stay
▶ Have a status of residence that does not restrict them from working:
◆ permanent resident
◆ spouse of Japanese national
◆ long term resident
STANDARD PROCESSING PERIOD TO GET THE CERTIFICATE
The processing period might take from 3 weeks up to 2 months.
SOME OTHER USEFUL ACTICLES:
● What is Employment Insurance Certificate or 雇用保険被保険者証?
● How do I read Japanese Payslips? What taxes am I paying for?
● What is Residence tax? Are foreign nationals required to pay?
Information site supporting foreigners living in Japan.